You don’t have to travel to another country to visit a mosque or temple and meet people from other world religions. They’re in every major city.
Most houses of worship are very open to visitors, and many religious leaders are eager to talk with you and answer your questions. But there are a few things to remember:
- Be a learner rather than trying to impress the priest or leader with what you know about their religion.
- Let making a new friend be your first goal. Generally, believers in world religions are eager to make friends from other cultures. Many feel isolated from the majority culture and have been hurt through prejudice or misunderstanding. As Mother Teresa says, “No one cares what you know until they know you care.”
- While we are commanded by Jesus to share our faith, we are also counseled to do it with wisdom.
- Our lives are our most powerful testimony.
- Few men and women in any culture can resist the genuine warmth of God’s love expressed through the friendship of His people.
- The secret, then, to reaching those of other world religions is to be sensitive and proactive. Then let God open the doors so you can share His love with those who are hungry to receive it.